Research has shown that when parents are involved in the life of school and take the view that responsibility for their child’s education is shared between themselves and school, there is a positive impact on achievement. Communication is improved, parents feel less isolated and parents’ ideas have been used in school development. In addition to this, there are more parents helping out in school on a regular basis and stronger PTAs are formed, which are able to reach into the community.
The purpose of Parent Forum meetings is to provide a regular opportunity to gather as a school community of grandparents, parents, carers and members of staff to:
- Promote new ideas
- Plan for the future
- Improve and develop communication between parents, carers and school
- Represent parent and carer views
- Keep parents and carers up to date with school developments and involve parents and carers in decision making
It is not a forum to discuss individual concerns or children; these matters need to be addressed with the Class teacher or Head teacher as appropriate.
Weeton St. Michael’s Primary School Parent Forum is a partnership between school, leaders of the school and parents/carers. The aims of the forum are to:
- Identify ways to support and promote the learning of all children
- To help the school establish an insight into parent voice
- To involve parents and carers actively in decision making processes
- To engage parents and carers in making plans to develop and improve
- To support the work of the school
The Parent’s Forum is open to any parent, carer or grandparent of children in school; the forum will be inclusive of everyone, focus on positive discussion and will be a friendly and welcoming group of which to be a part.
Meetings will take place in School each half term. The agenda will be devised the week before the meeting and anyone who wishes to add an item will need to contact the School Office. There will be a separate tab on the website for the Parent’s Forum; all copies of the agenda and meeting notes will be published here along with dates for forthcoming meetings.
If you have any questions about the Parent’s Forum or would like a few more details, please feel free to talk to Mrs Trousdale or Mrs Cooper (Henry’s mum); they will be very happy to help. Otherwise, we look forward to working with you!